Friday/Saturday:
We (Eric, Ralph, Landon and I) left on our long journey to New York after work. We stopped around 11:30 and got a hotel just outside of Buffalo. That was a much needed stop... We were all exhausted. Then the next day we were off again and ended up getting to Connecticut around 4:00 p.m. Chris Boyce had arranged for us to stay with a family from his Portuguese Congregation. We stayed with the Aylon family! Once we got to their house on Saturday we pretty much only had enough time to get settled in and eat dinner because their meeting (Our Sunday meeting) started at 6:00 p.m. Chris was giving the talk. Even though I couldn't understand a word of it (because it was in Portuguese) I could tell he did a good job! Landon even gave a comment in Portuguese! He was all excited!
Here is the wonderful family that we stayed with:
Sunday:
Landon and I ended up getting sick, so we weren't able to go out in service with everyone. Eric and Ralph went out with Chris and another brother from his hall. Eric said it was a very fun experience. He went with the brother on a study, and he had Eric (TRY) to read a scripture in Portuguese. I don't think it went very well because Eric said that they kinda laughed and moved on. I sure wish I knew what he (accidently) said instead! Then after service they had a few people come over and they grilled us a HUGE dinner! It was very good! Then after that everyone played either basketball or volleyball and then we watched a movie. Landon was in his glory. He had a couple brothers (Brandon and Marcus... brothers from Bethel) who took a big interest in him and played basketball with him! I of course was a party pooper because I didn't feel good. What a bummer, I felt so bad. I did enjoy my time with everyone even despite being sick though.
Monday:
Chris took us into the city! We went to Brooklyn and walked around. We were able to park right next to one of the Societies Resident's buildings. That was pretty neat... Then we took this picture from where we had parked... This is another building of the Societies!
This was the BEST day of our trip. We first went to Walkill and Chris gave us a tour!
This was very interesting... being able to see all the work that goes into printing all the publications and bibles. It is something that CAN NOT be described... it's something that you must see for yourself to truly appreciate it. Here are a few pictures that we thought were pretty cool!
Guess what is behind the curtain...?
After our tour, we were able to have lunch there. That sure was a wonderful experience!
Then in the same day we went to Patterson and had a tour! It was so beautiful there! Our favorite part was hearing about the art department and all the work that goes into that! Then we were able to have a special treat because we asked if we could see Keith Flis. He gave us an extra little tour of the (service) department that he works in. Then he took us up to see Nicole. She works in the Barber Shop. We were able to see some Bethelites getting their hair cut! After that they took us up to the Clock Tower. That was awesome!
Wednesday:
Our 12 hour trip home...The only good thing about riding in a car forever was having a wonderful traveling partner with us (Ralph Boyce). He made the LONG ride in the car very enjoyable. We would definitely travel with him anywhere!
This was definitely a very memorable trip. One that we would definitely want to make again! Obviously to see Bethel again, but also the Aylon's (the family we stayed with). They were the most loving and hospitable family that we have ever met. There was definitely sadness and tears when we had to leave them.
The pictures are great! Looks like you had a lot of fun. Next time we'll have to go with you guys!
ReplyDeleteWhat an amazing trip! I'm so glad you all got to go. That Dallas BBQ restaurant must be good. In January when Matt and my family went to NYC the Bethelites took them there to eat too. It makes me hungry just thinking about it.
ReplyDeleteYou guys looked like you had a very nice visit. It was very nice of Chris to set you up with such a nice family. I am so glad Landon and Eric was able to see Bethel for the first time. That impression will last in Landon's mind for a long time.....
ReplyDeleteRemember when we went to Bethel - you and Aaron were young... good times....
I'm glad you were able to have lunch there also.
That does sound like a memorable trip, wished I could have gone with ya all..... But hey, who would watch the dogs....!
Love MOM
That sounds like the most amazing trip ever! I have been in the truth for 14 years and we haven't been able to go yet. Ralph is an amazing brother so I can imagine that he would be great to travel with. I wouldn't want to go with anyone different myself. Love ya guys.
ReplyDelete